Welcome to Episode 23 of The Robot Report Podcast, which brings conversations with robotics innovators straight to you. Join us each week for discussions with leading roboticists, innovative robotics companies, and other key members of the robotics community.
Listeners can subscribe to The Robot Report Podcast on Amazon Music, Apple Podcasts, SoundCloud, Spotify, Google Play, and YouTube. Please subscribe to the podcast and leave us a review!
This week, fellow editor Steve Crowe and I chat with Brad Bogolea, co-founder and CEO of Simbe Robotics Inc., which makes the Tally 3.0 autonomous mobile robot for taking inventory in retail stores. We discuss the abrupt end of Walmart Inc.’s five-year relationship with Bossa Nova Robotics Inc., which had planned earlier this year to expand its rollout of inventory robots to 1,000 stores.
Bogolea also talks about the prospects for robotics in retail and what lessons the Walmart partnership provides for developers and startups.
Steve and I also speak with Andrew Smith, founder and CEO of Outrider, which is developing electric, autonomous yard trucks. We talk about how that segment of the supply chain can automate, progress in self-driving vehicle technology, and Outrider’s recent funding.
In addition, Steve and I talk about some of the latest applications for Boston Dynamics Inc.’s Spot quadruped robot, including carrying beer and helping police.
If you would like to be a guest on an upcoming episode of the podcast, or if you have recommendations for future guests or segment ideas, contact Steve or Eugene. For sponsorship opportunities of The Robot Report Podcast, contact Courtney Nagle for more information.
- 0-7:59: Show intro
- 8-42:06: Conversation with Brad Bogolea, co-founder and CEO, Simbe Robotics
- 42:07-42:41: RoboBusiness Direct preview
- 42:42-1:10:02 :Conversation with Andrew Smith, founder and CEO, Outrider
- 1:10:03-1:10:43: Show outro
- Spot the robot spotted serving beers in Sevilla, Spain
- Spot the robot dog used by NYPD at crime scene
- Walmart ends five-year inventory robot contract with Bossa Nova Robotics — updated
- Tally 3.0 inventory robot from Simbe includes improved optics, autonomy, endurance
- Ocado acquires Haddington Dynamics, Kindred for $287M
- RoboBusiness Direct event site
- Outrider raises $65M Series B for autonomous yard trucks
Tell Us What You Think!