Listen to this article
Epson Robots introduced a new class of high-power-density SCARA robots, the GX-B Series powered by the RC700E controller with integrated SafeSense technology. This is the second generation of robots that use the advanced GYROPLUS vibration reduction technology to provide some of the fastest production speeds, smooth motion control, and fast settling times.
The four new robots include the GX4B, GX8B, GX10B, and GX20B. The GX10B will be showcased publicly for the first time in the Americas at The Assembly Show in Rosemont, Illinois this week from Oct. 24-26.
This series of SCARA robots become the flagship line of SCARA robots from Epson. The payload goes from 4 kg (8.8 lb) to 20 kg (44 lb) and can reach up to one meter (39.4 inches).
“Epson understands the demands of high-end automation users who require the highest levels of performance out of their SCARA robots,” said Scott Marsic, group product manager, Epson Robots. “Built on four decades of expertise, Epson continues to deliver innovation that boosts productivity while helping to ensure workplace safety with the GX-B Series and integrated safety technology, providing customers with a powerful yet simple-to-operate robotic automation solution for today’s medical device, electronics, and consumer electronics markets.”
The four models include a variety of reach and mounting configurations:
Powering the lineup is the Epson RC700E robot controller. With proper risk assessment, this controller can enable seamless interaction between workers and robots without a safety fence. The controller enhances productivity, enables industrial collaborative robot applications, and reduces the overall footprint of robot automation systems. Featuring intelligent servo drives with GYROPLUS technology, customers can maximize throughput and integrate third-party software and hardware to build systems that suit their needs.
More than just a connection to a PC, the RC700E integrates the power of PC-based controls and the power of a real-time engine that can run up to 32 tasks with over 500 commands to optimize runtime, recovery, and error handling. Featuring SafeSense technology, the NRTL safety-rated RC700E provides safety with limited speed and position monitoring. This enhances productivity through faster interaction with machines for daily operations and maintenance. Simultaneously, the potential elimination of physical safety barriers can help users reduce the footprint and overall cost of their robot automation systems.
Additional features include:
- Ultimate ease of use and flexibility — intuitive and feature-packed Epson RC+development software helps create powerful solutions with a simple user interface, integrated debugger, and 3D simulator; RC700E works to create standalone industrial robot solutions with a GUI creation option, PC-based with API options such as LabVIEW, or PLC-controlled with remote fieldbus options, including Add-On Instructions (AOIs).
- Low total cost of ownership — includes battery-less encoders and Epson RC+ software with no recurring license fee; a rich suite of safety features included with RC700E controller; RC700E also includes Modbus TCP/IP and standard 24 inputs/16 outputs
- Integrated SafeSense Technology — standard and advanced safety features can allow for increased productivity and worker protection safety while potentially minimizing machine footprint due to the reduction of physical barriers.
- Optimized footprint — table, wall- and ceiling-mount options; 250, 300, and 350 mm reaches available for GX4B; 450, 550, and 650 mm reaches available for GX8B; 650 and 850 mm reaches available for the GX10B; 850 and 1,000 mm reaches available for the GX20B; longer Z axis available on GX20B, GX10B and GX8B.
Built for demanding environments — Standard, ESD, Cleanroom (ISO3) and ESD, and Protected IP65 models available; TUV certification standard on all models
- Advanced integrated options for GX Series — Vision Guidance, Parts Feeding, Force Guidance, Conveyor Tracking, Fieldbus and API.NET.
- Expandable options for RC700E — three available option slots for Extended I/O, Force Guide, Conveyor Tracking, Fieldbus Slave and Analog I/O; seamless software integration with API (.NET), Vision Guidance and IntelliFlex Parts Feeding.
- Compact and convenient — RC700E efficient form factor can be floor, wall or rack mounted; all connections plus lockout, backup port and message display are accessible on the front panel of the controller.
- Industry 4.0 ready — advanced OPC UA for robotics connectivity provides next-level integration and monitoring.