Listen to this article
Piab, a leading end-of-arm tooling developer, has introduced its piSAFE program that enables new benefits in applications where safety, flexibility, speed and performance are key. The solutions in the piSAFE program are developed to provide configurable and low-weight products that can be adapted to a customer’s specific needs.
While maintaining leading vacuum performance through Piab’s patented COAX technology, the flexible design and ease of maintenance makes it a perfect choice for challenging robotic applications and ergonomic handling devices where safety is a key concern. Whether a customer wants a centralized or decentralized vacuum gripping system, interfaces towards common (industrial standard) EOAT systems or stand-alone mounting, the piSAFE program provides a high vacuum safety and high performing configuration specified for you.
Here are the key benefits of the piSAFE program:
- Vacuum safety non-return valve (check valve) which holds vacuum in sealed applications in case of a system or power failure
- Available configurations suitable for both centralized and decentralized vacuum systems
- Can replace more expensive mechanical or vacuum-tank safety arrangements in robotic tools and ergonomic equipment
- Suitable in robotic applications where high demand of safety is required
- Suitable for ergonomic lifting devices/manipulators and cranes which must comply with lifting norms such as (DIN/SS) – EN 13155 and ASME Standard B30.20
- Through the energy saving features, the noise level is reduced as well as the carbon footprint
- Air consumption is reduced up to 98% per cycle
- Light-weight materials lower the weight for EOAT and ensure less wear on robotic motors and drive with a possibility for increased speed/acceleration or a smaller, cheaper robot
The key benefits of the piSAFE program are:
- Configurable with vacuum ejectors based on COAX® technology with integrated control functions for energy-saving and release
- Vacuum sensing port included for easy installation of good-to-go switch
- Configurable with different types of release functions supporting maximum release speed and air-consumption free release
- Configurable with multiple mounting options
- The modular design facilitates opportunities for easy maintenance, quick connect options and is fit for application configurations
In March 2020, Piab introduced its MX suction cups for bin picking, order fulfillment, box depalletizing, and parcel sorting. The MX suction cups are available in five sizes: 35, 42, 50, 57, and 65 mm in diameter and are compatible with the company’s piGRIP fitting program, allowing for fitting options tailored to specific needs. Piab said the MX suction cups are optimal for handling pouches, cardboard boxes, recycled objects, and difficult to grasp bags such a thin bags, plus much more.
Piab recently extended its piSoftgrip family with a new pinch gripper developed for the automation of the food/chocolate industry. The vacuum-based soft gripper can grip sensitive and lightweight oblong objects with odd geometries and/or objects with an unusual surface.