From the 2014 archives of The Robot Report: 45 fundings, acquisitions, IPOs and failures with some staggering figures.
All citations below can be found in the 2014 archives of The Robot Report (except for those with an asterisk which were reported by Travis Deyle in his article Venture Capital Funding for Robotics in 2014) or by searching in the red search box on the menu bar above.
UPDATED Jan 7 and 20, 2015 to include Rethink Robotics equity funding, Zano’s crowd funding, the acquisition of RobotWorx and the additions from Travis Deyle.
$1.08+ billion in Acquisitions:
- Deepmind was acquired by Google for $643 million;
- Swisslog was acquired by Kuka for $357 million;
- Titan Aerospace got $60 million;
- Infotron got $10 million;
- RobotWorx got $7.7 from NZ Scott Technology;
- and Reis Robotics, Airbotix, Novauris, Softeo and EMU all got acquired for unknown amounts.
$101.1+ million in IPOs:
- ReWalk got $36 for their IPO;
- Ekso $30.3;
- Titan Medical $34.8
- and Cyberdyne got an unknown amount.
$425.5 million in equity fundings (seed, crowd, series A,B,C,D, VC, etc.):
Large and small — but steadily throughout the year, all types of funding for robotic startups and spin-offs occurred during 2014.
Many got large fundings:
- Anki got $55 million in Series C funding*;
- Restoration Robotics got $45 million*;
- Airware got $25 million;
- Vicarious got $12 million;
- Rethink Robotics got $26.6;
- Medrobotics got $46 (in two separate fundings);
- Arago got $55;
- Corindus $26;
- Skycatch $16.4*;
- Persimmon Technologies $15.2*;
- Qbotix $12*;
- Kespry $10*;
- Mujin $6*;
- Remotive $5*;
- Knightscope $6.7;
- PrecisionHawk $10;
- Orbotix got $21.1; and
- Play-i got $8.
Smaller fundings included:
- JIBO at $2.2 million (IndieGoGo);
- Monsieur $2;
- Railpod $2.5*;
- Zano $3.5 (Kickstarter UK)
- Virtual Incision $4*;
- Modular Robotics $3.1*;
- Riverfield $2*;
- Resson Aerospace $3;
- MicaSense $2;
- Paracosm $3.45;
- Cyberhawk Innovations $1.9*;
- Savioke $2*;
- EMU $1.5 but was later acquired by Google;
- Neocis $1.3;
- Hibot $3.1; and
- Ozobot $2.
- Seegrid filed for bankruptcy to reorganize if at all possible
- Unbounded Robotics closed up shop for lack of funding